Do Not Let Craigslist Become Your Vice.
Relying solely on posting listings on Craigslist can become a trap if you lose perspective. It sometimes reminds me of the Sirens from Homer’s Epic: The Odyssey.
In the Odyssey, there were creatures called Sirens that seduced men with their song and eventually killed them. One of the obstacles the main character Odysseus and his sailors had to conquer included traveling past the Sirens island. To do this successfully Odysseus ordered his men to plug their ears with wax and to tie him to the mast of their ship so that he would not be seduced, yet still be able to listen to the Sirens sing thereby killing them.
How does this relate to Craigslist and you?
Many agents seem to be getting seduced by the easy lead generation from posting listings on craigslist.org to their own disadvantage. In some instances craigslist has become a Siren for real estate agents because it works, it’s easy, and they get immediate results. Results that can lull your overall business to death much like the sirens seduced men to their own.
The Allure of Quick Leads
I know, it can be sooo gratifying to see your efforts pay off quickly. I mean, you post a listing, it gets people to your stealth site or lead generation website and you get a lead. You want more. It’s so easy. Like the Sirens singing their song one cannot help but fall victim to something so pleasant.
Why This Temptation Is Bad
The reasons for relying on Craigslist as your only lead generation source include the following.
1. Tunnel vision. Other sources to find clients are not looked at.
2. You become to dependent on one source. What happens if you don’t have it anymore?
3. You’re missing out on other leads (maybe more) from places like Trulia/voices and others.
4. They are only quick leads (like expireds) it doesn’t add to the overall longevity of your business.
5. Too many eggs in one basket. you may become too reliant on this as THE answer to your business growth (tempting) and you neglect your other avenues (i.e. making calls) thinking “one of these leads will become a sale soon”.
When You Know You’ve Been Seduced
- If you find yourself posting on Craigslist about 20 or more times per day every single day (yes this happens). You’ve been seduced by the craigslist Siren.
- If you neglect making phone calls, your sphere of influence, or your other real estate activities–the Craigslist Siren has sung you its lullaby.
- If you have been blocked by Craigslist (usually happens if you’re suspected of being a spammer). Yup, you have tunnel vision.
If you find yourself constantly doing the above mentioned, take a step back and re-evaluate.
How To Prevent Craigslist Tunnel Vision
Don’t get me wrong, this is not to say that you shouldn’t be posting. Do it, it works.
What I am saying is do not focus on Craigslist as your only source of generating leads from the internet. The best way way to prevent this from happening to you is to think of it as just another tool and not the only tool for generating prospective clients. How?
You need to find your own wax.
This can be achieved in many different ways. If you think you’re relying too much on Craigslist as your online lead source take a break for a few days and take this time to go through the leads you have and filter out those who have given you fake information. You can also post less listings or updates per day. Or you can post every other day or two and vary how many you post per day. These are some ideas I’m sure you can think of more. Got any?
After your comfortable with posting on Craigslist and it’s working for you, then you’re ready to move on to adding another lead generation tool such as blogging or building an email campaign to your current sphere of influence.
Like Odysseus’ sailors make sure your wax is firmly placed so that you’re not seduced by the Craigslist Siren or any other vice.
Have a good one!
Picture source: Women in Classical Mythology at Princeton